Press Statement on the Postponement of the Presidential and National Assembly Elections
16 February 2019
The Nigeria Women Trust Fund (NWTF) Gender and Election Watch (GEW) is concerned about the unexpected postponement of the Presidential and National Assembly elections scheduled for 16 February 2019 despite expressed assurances by the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) on its readiness to conduct a free, fair and credible elections.
GEW is concerned about:
- The resultant voter apathy especially of eligible women and young women
- The safe keeping of already distributed election materials
- The unhealthiness of the housing conditions for deployed female Corp members
- The overall social and economic implications of the postponement of the elections on diverse range of stakeholders, notably security agencies, political parties and their candidates, voters, civil society organizations, the media and various local and international observer missions already deployed.
As Nigeria moves towards the rescheduled elections on the 23 February 2019 for Presidential and National Assembly elections and 9 March 2019 for Governorship and State Houses of Assembly elections, we urge:
- the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) to re-double its efforts at protecting the integrity of the electoral process by upholding its regulations and relevant laws.
- INEC to be more proactive and perfect its systems and operations for conducting free, fair and credible elections and reassure Nigerians of its preparedness.
- INEC to continue collaborations with security services to provide a safe environment for personnel, voters, election observers and election materials to conduct elections.
- INEC to continue to dialogue with all relevant stakeholders during this period to ensure trust is maintained until the elections are held.
- All political parties engage peacefully and constructively in the electoral process to ensure transparent, peaceful and credible elections.
- Nigerians and women to see this as part of Nigeria’s democratic evolvement and still have faith in it.
- Women to go out en-masse to cast their votes on 23 February 2019 and 9 March 2019 and not be afraid of casting their ballots
GEW Hotlines: +234-9062782773, 9062782774, 9062782779
Chief Executive Officer
For Gender and Election Watch (GEW) Room
of the Nigerian Women Trust Fund (NWTF).