Job Title: Program Officer
Location: Abuja, Nigeria.
Reporting to: Chief Executive Officer
ABOUT THE NIGERIAN WOMEN TRUST FUND (NWTF)
The Nigerian Women Trust Fund (NWTF) was created in 2011 to increase the representation of women in Nigerian governance at all levels and address the growing concerns about the gender imbalance in elective and appointive positions. NWTF’s thematic focus are: Fundraising & Grant Making; Democracy, Leadership Development & Governance; Research & Information; and Gender Advocacy.
About the Role:
The Program Officer is responsible for planning, fundraising, budgeting, and community outreach; develops and implements programs that align with the NWTF’s mission, vision and goals to close the gender gaps in governance at all levels through democracy, leadership and governance processes.
A bachelor’s degree in the social sciences including Law, Sociology, Political Science, Communications, Economics, Gender and Development.
A Masters’ degree in development or a related field is an added advantage.
A minimum of 7-10 years of experience in the field or in a related area, broad familiarity with standard concepts, practices, and procedures in Civil Society Organisations and Not-for-Profits; relies on limited experience and judgment to plan and accomplish goals.
The programme officer must possess a certain degree of creativity, innovation and latitude including a good understanding and knowledge of the Nigerian democratic and political environment and its interplay with civil society.
Must be female and familiar with development partners, government and civil society organisations with demonstrated knowledge of the Nigerian political environment.
Critical thinking, problem solving, organization, attention to detail, leadership, clear spoken and written communication, active listening, and can perform a variety of tasks.
- Good command of written and spoken English essential;
- A good overview of women’s political participation issues, and an active interest in the workings of civil society;
- Enthusiasm to learn and apply new skills;
- Good interpersonal and team-working skills;
- Ability to work under pressure;
- Frequent travels in different municipalities of Abuja and out stations to implement programme activities is required.
Traditional Office hours of 8am – 5pm weekdays with some travel in and outside Abuja.
- Strategy Development
- Conduct regular analysis of political issues on inclusive and participatory democracy in line with NWTF’s thematic priorities
- Co-lead the development and implementation of the NWTF’s strategy.
- Co-lead the development of thematic work output particularly on resource mobilization to support women’s political participation, gender advocacy and leadership development
- Co-lead the development of appropriate strategies for advocacy with partners.
- Program Development
- Apply proven experience to lead the process of planning, program development and grant-making or related activities to prepare funding and project proposals, and periodically prepare work plans, project and annual reports;
- Conduct broad outreach about NWTF’s priorities, meet with potential grantee organizations, review letters of inquiry and proposals, and prepare background materials for the CEO;
- Co-lead the organizing and facilitation of dialogue meetings, workshops and seminars with government representatives, civil society and international development partners
- Pursue alliances, network and collaboration with organisations with similar or complimentary thematic focus;
- Identify opportunities and provide assistance in developing relationships for promoting women’s political participation;
- Represent NWTF at meetings, seminars, co-ordination fora and other events.
- Maintain ongoing contact with grant recipients including fostering exchanges, circulating information and encouraging collaborative activities with funders, partners and beneficiaries
- Provide effective and ongoing communication to diverse audiences on programme areas;
- Maintain accurate records and monitor the performance and impact of all grants in an effort to capture the lessons learned;
- Organize meetings, workshops and learning events periodically to advance knowledge about priority topics, evaluation, etc;
- Engage in fundraising through writing of proposals and organizing other fundraising activities;
- Lead the design and implementation of current and innovative projects;
- Identify and enlist consultants as may be necessary to deliver the objectives of the NWTF;
- Work with the communications teams to carry out a weekly update of the NWTF’s official database, projects, activities, documents, processes, etc.
- Prepare annual reports, annual workplan and review NWTF’s strategic plans with the research and communications officer
- Deliver on responsibilities in accordance with the Strategic Plans of the NWTF and the agreed performance objective;
- Carry out any other duty that may be assigned by the CEO.
- Perform project organization activities in liaison with the CEO; lead program assistants in drafting project reports, estimates for budgeted activities and funding proposals,
Negotiable and competitive within the sector.
To apply please send full CV along with a cover letter outlining relevant experience to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Kindly use title of the position in the subject line
Deadline for applications: 19 June 2019
Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted for interview.